How to write electrode reactions from a cell diagram & write a cell diagram from overall reaction?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Claire_Zhou_1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

How to write electrode reactions from a cell diagram & write a cell diagram from overall reaction?

Postby Claire_Zhou_1A » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:27 am

So generally I know how to write electrode reactions based on cell diagrams and vice versa. But I don't know how to do these two problems:
· the cell diagram given is Pt(s)|O2(g)|H+(aq)||OH-(aq)|O2(g)|Pt(s) and write a cell diagram
· the overall reaction is 2Ag(s) + Br2(g)→2AgBr(s)
I think what confuses me is that there's only one reactant or product... Could someone help? Thanks!

kara_kremer_2N

Re: How to write electrode reactions from a cell diagram & write a cell diagram from overall reaction?

Postby kara_kremer_2N » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:03 pm

Try writing out the half-reactions for each problem. That should make things more clear

samuelkharpatin2b

Re: How to write electrode reactions from a cell diagram & write a cell diagram from overall reaction?

Postby samuelkharpatin2b » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Not quite sure what you mean by that first bullet point, but for the second bullet point (2Ag(s) + Br2(g)→2AgBr(s)), both reactants have an oxidation number of zero and the one product is comprised by the Ag+ and a Br-. Using this knowledge, you can now write the two half reactions and proceed to writing the cell diagram. Remember, two horizontal lines represents a salt bridge and a single horizontal line represents a porous disk.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”