Midterm Q4.C

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tara_Hekmati_3B

Midterm Q4.C

Postby Tara_Hekmati_3B » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:30 pm

This question asks us to write the cell diagram notation for the redox reaction, and I was told the order didn't matter for the components of the cell. I put the anode on the left of the cell diagram and the cathode on the right, but the components of the redox reaction are apparently in the wrong order even though I'm pretty sure my TA said that there was no specific rule as to what order they had to go in. Can I get some clarification please?

samuelkharpatin2b

Re: Midterm Q4.C

Postby samuelkharpatin2b » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:36 pm

You are correct that the anode information needs to go on the left hand side of the cell diagram and the cathode on the right hand side, however, the order should go as follows: (platinum, if needed)|(anything aqueous or gaseous)|(anything solid)||(anything solid)|(anything aqueous or gaseous)|(platinum, if needed). Where the left side of the salt bridge, in this case not a porous disk, is the anode information and the right side is the cathode information.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 435 times

Re: Midterm Q4.C

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:51 pm

For cell diagram, within each half part, electrode and solids are written far away from the salt bridge, followed by liquid, gas and aqueous solution. Within each phase, orders are not strictly defined, but people tend to put in the order of reactant to product.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”