Winter 2016 Q3C (p.207)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Huongly Do 3D

Winter 2016 Q3C (p.207)

Postby Huongly Do 3D » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:32 am

This question asks for us to write out the cell diagram for the redox reaction, but why does the answer include AGBr(s) instead of Ag+(aq)? Isn't it supposed to be the dissociated ion and not the entire solid product? Thank you!

Muhammad A Nasir

Re: Winter 2016 Q3C (p.207)

Postby Muhammad A Nasir » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:24 am

First the conventional way of writing the cell diagram is Reactant, Product, Reactant, Product etc. The reason AgBr(s) is in the diagram is because it is solid and Ag+ has been oxidized and that is why it is to included in the diagram. It is actually supposed to be the whole solid rather than the disassociate ion. Also the oxidized molecules are not part of cell diagram I am assuming.

Anna_Kim_2E

Postby Anna_Kim_2E » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:51 am

Muhammad A Nasir wrote:First the conventional way of writing the cell diagram is Reactant, Product, Reactant, Product etc. The reason AgBr(s) is in the diagram is because it is solid and Ag+ has been oxidized and that is why it is to included in the diagram. It is actually supposed to be the whole solid rather than the disassociate ion. Also the oxidized molecules are not part of cell diagram I am assuming.

Hi, I'm actually stuck on this problem too.
I tried solving by first writing the reduction half reaction first and the oxidation half reaction and then went on the create the cell diagram.
In order to write the half reactions, I couldn't do it without using the dissociate ions. So I got 2Ag --> 2Ag+ + 2e and Br2 + 2e --> 2Br-.
Muhammad then, why is it that we can use disassociate ion for Bromine but not Silver? I'm so confused. I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks.

Anna_Kim_2E

Postby Anna_Kim_2E » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:53 am

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”