Electrical energy to chemical energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kate Zeile 2D

Electrical energy to chemical energy

Postby Kate Zeile 2D » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 am

Dr. Lavelle said that we are focusing more on Galvanic cells, where a chemical reaction produces an electrical current. However, can someone give an example of the opposite situation, where electrical energy is converted to chemical energy?

Chloe1K

Re: Electrical energy to chemical energy

Postby Chloe1K » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:33 am

electrolysis: an electric current drives a chemical reaction that will separate an ionic substance. I don't think I saw it on the syllabus though so I don't know if we'll be learning about it.

Guangyu Li 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Electrical energy to chemical energy

Postby Guangyu Li 2J » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:34 pm

A significant example is an Electrolytic Cell. Compared with a galvanic cell, an electrolytic cell has a battery to offer electricity for the electrochemical cell system. Important examples of electrolysis are the decomposition of water into hydrogen and oxygen, and bauxite into aluminum and other chemicals. Electroplating (e.g. of copper, silver, nickel or chromium) is done using an electrolytic cell. In other words, the electrolytic cell in a completely opposite way from galvanic cell and it turns electrical energy into chemical energy.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”