Galvanic vs Concentration

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Payton Schwesinger 1J

Galvanic vs Concentration

Postby Payton Schwesinger 1J » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:15 pm

What is the difference between how you use information from a Galvanic cell and information from a Concentration cell? Do they allow you to calculate the same thing with different formulas? Or do they give different information?

Anna Okabe

Re: Galvanic vs Concentration

Postby Anna Okabe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:41 pm

A galvanic cell means that there's a rxn taking place at the surface of electrodes between an anode and a cathode. A concentration cell means that the components in the anode and cathode are the same compounds/elements. In either case they are spontaneous.

RyanTran2F

Postby RyanTran2F » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Galvanic cells often have equal molarities of 2 electrodes but concentration cells have different molarities with the same type of electrode on both sides. About your other 2 questions, I am not too sure but I think this is just another way of using the relationship between chemical and electrical energy and making a battery out of it. I hope that helps ☺

Michael Cheng 1C

Postby Michael Cheng 1C » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 am

can someone give me an example of concentration cell? Also, are the calculations basically the same equations for the two cells?

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”