Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Curtis Tam 1J

Postby Curtis Tam 1J » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:07 pm

a) Write balanced half-reactions for the redox reaction of an acidified solution of potassium permanganate and iron(II) chloride. b) Write the balanced equation for the cell reaction and devise a galvanic cell to study the reaction (write its cell diagram).

I'm pretty sure that Appendix 2B is needed but my question is how are we supposed to identify which half reaction to use for iron(II) chloride. In Appendix 2B, the half reaction for the acidified solution of potassium permanganate is pretty identifiable but for the iron(II) chloride, there are several half reactions that involve Fe2+ which all seem equally viable for the problem. Are we supposed to choose which one to use or is there a specific one that we are supposed to use, as shown in the solutions manual?

Jakob von Morgenland 2C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: 14.17

Postby Jakob von Morgenland 2C » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:03 am

I would assume you would use the one that cancels out the charge on the ion. For this, since it has a 2+ charge, I would use the one that has 2 electrons in it.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”