Galvanic Cell Diagram

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Anna Goldberg 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Galvanic Cell Diagram

Postby Anna Goldberg 2I » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:35 pm

From examples Dr. Lavelle has done in class and from the textbook, I was under the assumption that, in a galvanic cell diagram, you wrote the reactants and the products for the anode and the cathode, with the anode and cathode separated by the double line representing the salt bridge. The reactants were on the left and the products on the right, such as: Reactants(Anode)|Products(Anode)||Reactants(Cathode)|Products(Cathode)
However, the textbook sometimes switches this up.
For 14.11 b), the half cell for the cathode is written as ||Cl-(aq)|Cl2, when it is Cl- that is the product and Cl2 the reactant.
Similarly, for 14.21 d), the half cell for the anode is written as C(gr)|Sn4+(aq), Sn2+(aq)||, when it is Sn4+ that is the product, and Sn2+ that is the reactant.
Why does the textbook have this trend?

Ryan Sydney Beyer 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Galvanic Cell Diagram

Postby Ryan Sydney Beyer 2B » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:22 am

I think it could be that they are in different phases. We are supposed to separate the objects that are in different phases when drawing the cell diagram and I'm assuming that the Cl - ions were in solution and the Cl2 was in a gaseous phase.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”