Rule of Thumb for Cell Diagrams

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emily Glaser 1F

Rule of Thumb for Cell Diagrams

Postby Emily Glaser 1F » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:44 pm

How should I go about writing the notation for a cell diagram. Can someone break it down for me because some of the things I see in solution manual confuses me

Ryan Sydney Beyer 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Rule of Thumb for Cell Diagrams

Postby Ryan Sydney Beyer 2B » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 am

When writing cell diagrams, we are supposed to have the anodic compartment on the left and the cathodic compartment on the right. To go more into detail about the anodic compartment, the far left side is supposed to have the metal or solid electrode, right side of the anodic compartment is supposed to have whatever gaseous or aqueous things are present. All of the different phases are separated by a single vertical solid line. Then the anodic and cathodic compartments are separated by 2 vertical solid lines. The cathodic compartment has the same thing but with the electrode on the far right.

Remi Lathrop 1G

Postby Remi Lathrop 1G » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Sometimes the cell diagrams use comas instead of lines to separate two reactants, why is this? When do we use a solid line and when do we use a coma?

Tasnia Haider 1E

Postby Tasnia Haider 1E » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:45 pm

You use a comma when the ions or compounds are in the same state on the same side, and use a single line when they have different states.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”