14.13d

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Grace Ramey 2K

14.13d

Postby Grace Ramey 2K » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:53 pm

For this question, the balanced reaction is 3 Au+ (aq) ---> 2 Au (s) + Au3+ (aq)
The cell diagram, though, is not written with Au+ as the reactant on both the anode and cathode side of the diagram. Can someone explain why this is? I thought the cell diagram is written based off of the balanced equation, not the half reactions.

Thank you for your help!

Sarah_Stay_1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: 14.13d

Postby Sarah_Stay_1D » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 am

Grace Ramey 2K wrote:For this question, the balanced reaction is 3 Au+ (aq) ---> 2 Au (s) + Au3+ (aq)
The cell diagram, though, is not written with Au+ as the reactant on both the anode and cathode side of the diagram. Can someone explain why this is? I thought the cell diagram is written based off of the balanced equation, not the half reactions.

Thank you for your help!

The cell diagram is not necessarily written based of the balanced equation (by that I mean you don't right everything of the right side of the equation on the right side of the diagram). The cell diagram includes the species involved in reduction (cathode) on the right side of the diagram and the species involved in oxidation (anode) on the left side of the diagram. For example, if Au+ is being reduced to Au (s) then Au+ and Au (s) would be on the right side of the diagram.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”