14.15a cell drawing

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Janine Chan 2K

14.15a cell drawing

Postby Janine Chan 2K » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:54 pm

For the anode, why is it written in the order Ag(s)|AgBr(s)|Br-(aq)? Is this because Br- is an ion/aqueous so it's written closest to the salt bridge?
If solids are written on the outside, why is Ag(s) written before AgBr? Is this because it's written from reactants to products? But if it's written from reactants to products, Br- being on the most right would violate this.

Xihui Yin 1I

Re: 14.15a cell drawing

Postby Xihui Yin 1I » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:41 pm

Janine Chan 2K wrote:For the anode, why is it written in the order Ag(s)|AgBr(s)|Br-(aq)? Is this because Br- is an ion/aqueous so it's written closest to the salt bridge?
If solids are written on the outside, why is Ag(s) written before AgBr? Is this because it's written from reactants to products? But if it's written from reactants to products, Br- being on the most right would violate this.

Because Ag is a solid conducting metal, so it serves as an electrode and thus you add a line inbetween Ag and AgBr. AgBr is ionic, but since it is a solid, it cannot be used as an electrode. Since as a general rule of thumb you have to group substances of the same state together I suppose thats why AgBr is before Br-. And no, the order is not based off reactants to products.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”