Cell diagram

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tim Foster 2A

Cell diagram

Postby Tim Foster 2A » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:51 pm

When dealing with two compounds that are in different phases, how do you know which to list first in the cell diagram? For instance, if the two compounds on the reduction side of my diagram are Cl2(g) and Cl-, which do I put first?

Thuy-Anh Bui 1I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Cell diagram

Postby Thuy-Anh Bui 1I » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:45 pm

There is no convention for which compound to put first, but it would make logical sense to place Cl2(g) before Cl-(aq) to show that Cl2 is being reduced to Cl-.

Patricia Macalalag 2E

Postby Patricia Macalalag 2E » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:35 am

chem mod posted in another post that electrodes and solids are furthest from the salt bridge, followed by liquids, gases, and aqueous solutions, but most people usually order it reactants to products

Ashley Macabasco 2K

Postby Ashley Macabasco 2K » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:02 am

From what I have seen the aqueous compounds are written closest to the middle, the closest to the salt bridge and then the solids are farthest compounds from the salt bridge. Liquids and gases are then written in between.

Mitch Walters

Postby Mitch Walters » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:05 am

I prefer to go in the order of what is happening. So with oxidation I start off with some kind of solid and then move to the positive ion. With reduction I start with the positive ion and then move to the solid.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”