Strength of Reducing Agents and Strength of Oxidizing Agents

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Scott Chin_1E

Strength of Reducing Agents and Strength of Oxidizing Agents

Postby Scott Chin_1E » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:51 pm

Is there a mnemonic device or easy way to understand which species are stronger reducing agents or oxidizing agents?

Michaela Capps 1l

Re: Strength of Reducing Agents and Strength of Oxidizing Agents

Postby Michaela Capps 1l » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:09 pm

OIL RIG Oxidation is losing (electrons) and Reduction is gaining (electrons)

Scott Chin_1E

Postby Scott Chin_1E » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:13 pm

I understand the mnemonic device to determining which species is being reduced or being oxidized (OIL RIG or LEO GER).

Let me clarify my question. In the question 14.25, they ask to list the elements Cu, Zn, Cr, and Fe according to increasing strength as reducing agents. I'm not sure how to determine the strength of reducing agents or oxidizing agents. Is there an easy way to figure this out?

Zane Mills 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Zane Mills 1E » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:21 pm

Strong oxidizing agents cause other molecules to lose e-'s and thus are highly EN and become more stable with the addition of the e-'s (O2, O3, F2, etc.) Strong reducing agents donate their e-'s to become more stable and thus give them away easily (Li, Na, Mg, etc.) They're all ranked on standard reduction potentials and are the opposite so the strongest reducing agent will be the worst oxidizing, etc.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”