acidic/basic

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Clement Ng
Been upvoted: 3 times

acidic/basic

Postby Clement Ng » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:12 am

Whenever a redox equation is acidic or basic, is the H+/OH- ion on the left side of the equation or the right?

Isaiah Little 1A 14B

Re: acidic/basic

Postby Isaiah Little 1A 14B » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:22 am

It depends on which side needs to be balanced in terms of excess hydrogen. If the solution is acidic, H+ would be added to whichever side that needs more hydrogen atoms to balance the redox equation, whereas OH- would be added in redox equations in basic solutions.

GabrielGarciaDiscussion1i
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: acidic/basic

Postby GabrielGarciaDiscussion1i » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:31 am

There is no specific specified side as to where to put the ( H+/OH- ). I know there is slight confusion on balancing redox rxn's so the way that I do is make your half rxn's, balance anything that isn't Hydrogen or Oxygen, use H20 to balance out oxygen and then H+ to balance out Hydrogen (you put the H+ on the respective side that needs it). Then add electrons to balance the charge, multiply the half rxn's to get an equal number of electrons between the two, then combine the half rxn's into one big rxn.

These steps are the same REGARDLESS OF ACIDIC OR BASIC SOLUTION.

In a basic solution however, after you have finished all these steps, you then account for the basic nature of the solution by adding an OH- to each side of the rxn for every H+. So for example (This isn't a perfect reaction but just bare with me) :
(A+) + (B) + (H+) --> (B+) + (A) + (H20)

Because of the H+ in this reaction IN A BASIC SOLUTION once I combined my half rxn's and if this was my result, I would then add one OH- to the reactants side and it forms H20 with the H+ and then one OH- to the products side. You would cancel out any waters if necessary. So end result is this:
(A+) + (B) + (H2O) --> (B+) + (A) + (H2O) + (OH-)

I'm gonna leave a link here and hope it helps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5sDNmYCaqo

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”