Using Appendix 2A

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shannon Wasley 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Using Appendix 2A

Postby Shannon Wasley 2J » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:27 pm

For some of the problems in Chapter 14, we have notice that when comparing two cell potentials from Appendix 2A, the lower or more negative cell potential means that half-reaction is an anode and therefore the more positive one is the cathode. However, in other questions when using Appendix 2A, sometimes the anode has a higher or more positive cell potential than the cathode. Why is this? When should we use the fact that the anode has a more negative cell potential and when should we not?

Scott Chin_1E

Re: Using Appendix 2A

Postby Scott Chin_1E » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:48 pm

If I understand your question correctly, I think that all this means is that when you add up the cell potential of an anode (which has a positive value) and a cathode (which has a negative value), the cell will be not spontaneous (-E of the cell) and will not be a useful battery.

Angel Gomez 1K

Re: Using Appendix 2A

Postby Angel Gomez 1K » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 pm

For our test, I think we'll have to reverse the half reaction of the anode (where oxidation occurs) to get a cell potential that will result in a positive value.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”