Cell Potential vs Standard Cell Potential

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Leah Savage 2F

Cell Potential vs Standard Cell Potential

Postby Leah Savage 2F » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:27 pm

How could the cell potential/voltage ever be larger than the standard cell potential? I thought that the whole idea was that as a galvanic cell runs and approaches equilibrium, cell potential decreases from the standard cell potential at the beginning.

aTirumalai-1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Cell Potential vs Standard Cell Potential

Postby aTirumalai-1I » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:31 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, you are correct. The cell potential/voltage can never be larger than the standard cell potential because the standard cell potential describes the maximum potential difference.

Nhan Nguyen 2F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Cell Potential vs Standard Cell Potential

Postby Nhan Nguyen 2F » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:09 pm

Standard cell potential does not change because it is already calculated from standard conditions (Also! It's an intensive property since it's independent on the amount of substances). However, Ecell can change because it's dependent on the changes in the amounts of substance you have. If you have an increase in Reactions (Q<1), the Ecell > standard Ecell; if you have more products (Q>1), the Ecell decreases and becomes lower than standard Ecell.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”