Reducing vs Oxidizing Agents

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jonathan Tangonan 1E

Reducing vs Oxidizing Agents

Postby Jonathan Tangonan 1E » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:35 pm

How do we determine what is an oxidizing agent and how do we determine what is a reducing agent?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 820 times

Re: Reducing vs Oxidizing Agents

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:37 pm

A molecule that gets oxidized loses electrons. Since it lost electrons, it is thus giving the electrons to something else, and is considered the reducing agent.

A molecule that gets reduced gains electrons. Since it is accepting or taking electrons from something else, it is considered the oxidizing agent.

Michele 2C

Postby Michele 2C » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:40 pm

The way I remember is by using the acronym LEO says GER, which stands for Losing Electrons is Oxidation and Gaining Electrons is Reduction. So, if a substance loses electrons, then it has been oxidized. If a substance has been oxidized, then it inevitably causes reduction in another substance, because another substance must gain the electrons that the original substance lost. Since the substance caused reduction in something else, it is the reducing agent. The same thing goes for substances that get reduced, they cause oxidation in something else, and therefore are oxidizing agents.

Summary:
If a substance gets oxidized (or loses electrons), it is a reducing agent.
If a substance gets reduced (or gains electrons), it is an oxidizing agent.

RussellChin_3A

Postby RussellChin_3A » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:59 pm

the way i think of it is first i find whats being reduced and whats being oxidized. Then to find the oxidizing or reducing agent i just reverse it, so the compound being oxidized is the reducing agent and the compound being reduced is the oxidizing agent.

Erik Khong 2E

Postby Erik Khong 2E » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:15 am

I just remember that the agent is opposite of what it is doing:

A species being oxidized is the reducing agent.
A species being reduced is the oxidizing agent.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”