14.11 6th Edition

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

14.11 6th Edition

Postby 705192887 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:45 pm

Can someone help me with 14.11 in the 6th edition? I'm studying for the test and practicing problems but the solutions manual seems to be backwards from what I'm expecting every time...

Maddy Mackenzie
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: 14.11 6th Edition

Postby Maddy Mackenzie » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:02 pm

For this question, you have to look at which half reaction is occuring at the anode and which is occuring at the cathode. The right side of the cell diagram will always be the cathode and the left the anode. So, for example for question e, you must write the oxidation half reaction for the Sn 4+/Sn 2+ since this is the reaction occuring at the anode and you must write the reduction half reaction for the Cl-/Hg2Cl2/Hg since this is the reaction occuring at the cathode. From there, you just balance with respect to the elements and electrons and add the half reactions together in order to form the balanced reaction. The end reaction might not be the most favorable reaction that could occur but it is the one that matches the cell diagram provided.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”