Strength of Reducing Agents

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nada AbouHaiba 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Strength of Reducing Agents

Postby Nada AbouHaiba 1I » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:43 pm

I know you want to look at the most negative reduction potential in order to find which is the strongest reducing agent, but how do you know which equation to use if there are several that have that same metal in the back?

14.25 Arrange the following metals in order of increasing strength as reducing agents for species in aqueous solution: (a) Cu, Zn, Cr, Fe; (b) Li, Na, K, Mg; (c) U, V, Ti, Al;(d) Ni, Sn, Au, Ag.

this is the question I'm trying to answer. For example in part A Fe has two possible equations we can refer to

Albert_Luu3K

Re: Strength of Reducing Agents

Postby Albert_Luu3K » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:41 am

What I would is make sure all the half reaction reduction potential numbers are coming from similar set up equations, meaning that make sure all the equations start off with same neutral element and it goes to the same oxidation state. For example Fe^2+ + 2e- --> Fe and Cu^2+ + 2e- ---> Cu. That makes sure that there will be a consistent basis for comparing the relative reduction potentials.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”