Anode positive or negative in galvanic cell

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samantha Chung 4I

Anode positive or negative in galvanic cell

Postby Samantha Chung 4I » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:25 pm

On my discussion notes, I have that in a galvanic cell, the anode is connected to the positive terminal of the battery, and the charge on the electrode is negative. However, in many online sources, the anode is negative? I am confused as to the difference, or does the "terminal" and "charge of electrodes" mean a different thing? If so, which ones will the diagram refer to if we are given one to label?

Ray Guo 4C

Re: Anode positive or negative in galvanic cell

Postby Ray Guo 4C » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:45 pm

First, a galvanic cell is not connected to a battery. A galvanic cell is a cell that generates electricity through a spontaneous chemical reaction. A cell that is connected to a battery is an electrolytic cell. An electrolytic cell uses energy from the battery to drive reactions. Then to answer your questions, "terminal" refers to the battery terminal, which is different from an electrode which is where the redox reactions take place. So in a diagram, label the terminal charge on the two poles of the battery and electrode charge on the two electrodes, which are typically dipped in solutions. Hope this helps.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”