Test 2 #6 Ordering Reducing/Oxidizing Power

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Christopher Tran 1J

Test 2 #6 Ordering Reducing/Oxidizing Power

Postby Christopher Tran 1J » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:35 pm

Could someone let me know what they got for 6 a, b, and c for Test 3, and how they reasoned out the answers?

a. In order of increasing reducing power going from their neutral to second oxidation state: Pb, Cd, Mn
b. In order of increasing oxidation power going from their third oxidation state to neutral: U3+, Cr3+, Al3+
c. Please write the two species from parts a and b that would give the largest Ecell if assembled in an electrochemical cell.

Lauren Ho 2E

Re: Test 2 #6 Ordering Reducing/Oxidizing Power

Postby Lauren Ho 2E » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:33 pm

For part B. I got that the order of increasing oxidation power was Mg2+ < Ti2+ < Sn2+ because a more positive voltage means a stronger oxidizing agent. I don't know how to solve A and C, though :(

Chase Yonamine 1J

Postby Chase Yonamine 1J » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:32 pm

To add, for part C you would just simply look at the biggest reducing and biggest oxidizing agent.

Chloe Likwong 2K

Postby Chloe Likwong 2K » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:34 pm

Strongest reducing power: most negative value
Strongest oxidation power: most positive value

For C, find the most negative value (reducing power) as your anode because you'll be subtracting it in the formula [E°(cell) = E°(cathode) − E°(anode)] and the most positive value (oxidation power) as your cathode.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”