Cell Diagrams- inert metal and order

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

LeilaBushweller1F

Cell Diagrams- inert metal and order

Postby LeilaBushweller1F » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:53 pm

When do we need to put an inert metal in the cell diagram (such as Pt(s))? Also, does the order of the substances within the cell diagram (separated into anode and cathode) matter? Should the elements go in the order of the reaction (from reactants to products) or is it irrelevant?

martha-1I

Re: Cell Diagrams- inert metal and order

Postby martha-1I » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:16 pm

We put inert metals in a cell diagram when there is no solid stated in the reaction given. This is so because in order for the Galvanic Cell to work properly you would need a solid metal to be either the anode or cathode.

martha-1I

Postby martha-1I » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:20 pm

The left side of the salt bridge in the cell diagram should be the Anode that is being oxidized and the right side of the salt bridge should be the Cathode that is being reduced. I am not entirely sure about the order myself so I will leave that for someone else to answer.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 714 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:09 pm

On the oxidation side (left), the substance should be oxidized when read from left to right.
On the reduction side (right), the substance should be reduced when read from left to right.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”