E cell values

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Malia Shitabata 1F

E cell values

Postby Malia Shitabata 1F » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:29 pm

If the E cell value is negative, this means reduction isn't spontaneous. Does this mean that oxidation is spontaneous for a negative value and vice versa for a positive value or does it not work that way?

Andrew Liang 1I

Re: E cell values

Postby Andrew Liang 1I » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:12 pm

If the E cell value is positive it means that oxidation-reduction reaction is spontaneous. If the E cell value is negative it means that the reverse reaction is spontaneous, which is reduction at anode and oxidation at cathode.

Luyan Zhang - 2D

Postby Luyan Zhang - 2D » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:18 pm

Andrew Liang 1I wrote:If the E cell value is positive it means that oxidation-reduction reaction is spontaneous. If the E cell value is negative it means that the reverse reaction is spontaneous, which is reduction at anode and oxidation at cathode.

I thought the anode always participate in oxidation and cathode always participate inn reduction?

Ryan Lee 1E

Postby Ryan Lee 1E » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:25 pm

At that point, doesn't that just mean then you can relabel the cathode and anode. To my knowledge, those are just descriptive, which means you can just slap the term cathode on whichever one is actually positive and having the species being reduced.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”