Salt Bridge

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samuel G Rivera - Discussion 4I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Salt Bridge

Postby Samuel G Rivera - Discussion 4I » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:50 pm

I understand that the salt bridge keeps both sides neutral, but why do both sides need to be neutral? What would happen if the salt bridge wasn't there?

kim 2I

Re: Salt Bridge

Postby kim 2I » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:09 pm

Since the salt bridge helps balance the ions on both sides of the solution, the solution of the anode will probably become overly postive whereas the cathode's solution will become overly negative. I think with the solution unbalanced, the transfer of electrons on the wire will most likely stop and electricty would not be produced.

Chris Tai 1B

Postby Chris Tai 1B » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:45 pm

Over time, the electrons flow from one side of the cell to the other side, and the cell eventually reaches an equilibrium where the potential difference of the cell does not have a positive value. If there isn't a positive value to this difference, then the cell no longer really has the potential to be a battery. The salt bridge is necessary to keep both of the two solutions to stay neutral, so that chemical energy can be transformed into electrical energy.

Suraj Doshi 2G

Postby Suraj Doshi 2G » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:06 pm

For electrons to pass from one side to another, there must be a positive charge on one end. The salt bridge allows for ions to keep this positive charge to maintain electron flow.

Amanda Lin 2I

Postby Amanda Lin 2I » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:04 pm

Without the salt bridge, the cathode side will become too negative, and the electrons will not flow

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”