Writing cell diagram

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Minh Ngo 4G

Writing cell diagram

Postby Minh Ngo 4G » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:33 pm

So I have several questions regarding writing cell diagram
(I'm also refering to 6M.5:
For each reaction that is spontaneous under standard conditions (that is, K > 1), write a cell diagram, determine the standard cell potential, and calculate ΔG° for the reaction:
(a) 2 NO3 − (aq) + 8 H + (aq) + 6 Hg(l) → 3 Hg 2 2+ (aq) + 2 NO(g) + 4 H2O(l))
The answer for the cell diagram part is Hg (l)|Hg2 2+ (aq) ||NO3- (aq), H+ (aq)| O (g) | Pt(s)

1. When writing cell diagram, do we include liquids? If yes, why don't we include H2O?
2. Why there isn't any Pt(s) on the anode side? I thought that when there is no metal solid, you have to add eith Pt(s) or C(gr)?

JonathanS 1H

Re: Writing cell diagram

Postby JonathanS 1H » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:34 pm

The answer to both questions is that Hg (l) is the anode in this case. With a liquid anode, we include the liquid but since water is our solvent and not involved in either the anode or cathode, we do not include it in the cell diagram.

Minh Ngo 4G

Re: Writing cell diagram

Postby Minh Ngo 4G » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:45 pm

JonathanS 1H wrote:The answer to both questions is that Hg (l) is the anode in this case. With a liquid anode, we include the liquid but since water is our solvent and not involved in either the anode or cathode, we do not include it in the cell diagram.

So if the anode is in liquid state, we don’t need any metal?

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”