Identify the state

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Minh Ngo 4G

Identify the state

Postby Minh Ngo 4G » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:09 pm

Suppose that each of the following pairs of redox couples is joined to form a galvanic cell that generates a current under standard conditions. Identify the oxidizing agent and the reducing agent, write a cell diagram, and calculate the standard cell potential.
a) Co 2+/Co and Ti 3+/Ti 2+

So for this question, I don't know the way to identify the state of each element to write the cell diagram? How do I know that Co is solid while Ti 2+ and Ti 3+ is aqueous?

JonathanS 1H

Re: Identify the state

Postby JonathanS 1H » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:24 pm

I believe we know that Co is solid because it is in its natural state without a charge. With Ti 3+ and Ti 2+, thy have a charge, which means they were part of a dissolved salt, and are therefore aqueous. The only time we have ions as a solid are in salts.

Sidharth D 1E

Postby Sidharth D 1E » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:07 pm

Most metals that are given in the question without a charge are in the solid state and those which have a charge normally are from a dissociated compound, so they will be aqueous.

Anisha Chandra 1K

Postby Anisha Chandra 1K » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:34 pm

The element/compounds are expected to be written in a state that is in accordance with how it exists in nature. For instance, if you need to write H2, you know it will be a gas.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”