Galvanic Cells

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andrew F 2L

Galvanic Cells

Postby Andrew F 2L » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:22 pm

What is important to understand about galvanic cells? I am confused as to the purpose of what we are learning about electricity as it relates to energy and free energy. Could someone help me understand this? Thank you!

JamieVu_2C

Re: Galvanic Cells

Postby JamieVu_2C » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:28 pm

When you're relating free energy to the cell potential, as given by , the cell potential (E) comes from the galvanic cell. So, you'd need to calculate the cell potential from the galvanic cell and its two electrodes – the anode and the cathode. Using the two electrodes, you can find the half reactions to find the cell potential of the galvanic cell.

Ritu Gaikwad 2E

Postby Ritu Gaikwad 2E » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:28 pm

The importance of a galvanic cell is that charge is being transferred from one species to another, or from anode to cathode and as electrons are transferred from one species to another there is a buildup of charge and a voltage associated with that. Therefore electricity is generated when electrons are transferred from one species to the next and allows for the transfer of energy.

Charysa Santos 4G

Postby Charysa Santos 4G » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:29 pm

I found that this Khan Academy video may be helpful/relevant in answering your question: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/che ... ree-energy

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”