6L.5 c

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Amy Luu 2G

6L.5 c

Postby Amy Luu 2G » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:32 pm

Write the half-reactions, the balanced equation for the cell reaction, and the cell diagram for each of the following skeletal equations:
c) Cl2(g) + H2(g) ---> HCl(aq)
I am confused on writing the cell diagram. How do we know to add an inert electrode? I am also confused in the order that we should write the cell diagram. I know that the cathode is on the right and the anode is on the left. How come the answer is Pt(s) I H2(g) I H+(aq) II Cl-(aq) I Cl2(g) I Pt(s)? I got a similar answer but I just switched Cl-(aq) and Cl2(g)

Ryan Chang 1C

Re: 6L.5 c

Postby Ryan Chang 1C » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:43 pm

An inert electrode must be added when there is no metal in the cathode or anode. In this case, H2(g), H+(aq), Cl-(aq), Cl2(g), aren't metals, so an inert electrode such as Platinum must be added to both sides. I believe Dr. Lavelle mentioned that the order within the cathode and anode don't matter, but it's just common to express it with aqueous solutions near the center and solids, liquids, and gases on the ends.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”