6L.5

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Skyllar Kuppinger 1F

6L.5

Postby Skyllar Kuppinger 1F » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:26 pm

Parts A and B make sense but I have no idea what's going on w parts C and D.

For part C: how are there 2 reactants and only 1 product?? Isn't a redox rxn supposed to happen in pairs? How do I know which way the electrons r being transferred??

For part D: how is one reactant being both reduced and oxidized??

The book only includes easy examples like A and B. Does anyone know a YouTube video or something I can watch to figure out how to do the examples that are not straight forward???

Caitlyn Tran 2E

Re: 6L.5

Postby Caitlyn Tran 2E » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:31 pm

For part C, you can split HCl into a positive hydrogen ion and negative chlorine ion. This will give you the two half reactions.

For part D, Au is being oxidized to produce the 3+ ion and reduced to produce a solid. Since there is simply a transfer of electrons between two Au atoms, Au is both the oxidizing and reducing agent (in other words Au is being both oxidized and reduced, but it is happening to different Au atoms).

I am not sure if there are any helpful videos since I personally do not look up videos, but I usually find that reading the textbook helps. Hope this helps!

Skyllar Kuppinger 1F

Re: 6L.5

Postby Skyllar Kuppinger 1F » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:42 pm

Caitlyn Tran 2E wrote:For part C, you can split HCl into a positive hydrogen ion and negative chlorine ion. This will give you the two half reactions.

For part D, Au is being oxidized to produce the 3+ ion and reduced to produce a solid. Since there is simply a transfer of electrons between two Au atoms, Au is both the oxidizing and reducing agent (in other words Au is being both oxidized and reduced, but it is happening to different Au atoms).

I am not sure if there are any helpful videos since I personally do not look up videos, but I usually find that reading the textbook helps. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”