Difference in concentration

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samuel G Rivera - Discussion 4I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Difference in concentration

Postby Samuel G Rivera - Discussion 4I » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:26 pm

I remember hearing in lecture, regarding galvanic cells, that a difference in concentration between two solutions causes an electric flow. I don't really understand what this means. Could someone elaborate?

Rebecca Remple 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Difference in concentration

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:32 pm

Samuel G Rivera - Discussion 4I wrote:I remember hearing in lecture, regarding galvanic cells, that a difference in concentration between two solutions causes an electric flow. I don't really understand what this means. Could someone elaborate?

Hi Samuel,

I think this may be referring to concentration cells, which are a type of galvanic cell. According to LibreTexts (https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Analytical_Chemistry/Supplemental_Modules_(Analytical_Chemistry)/Electrochemistry/Voltaic_Cells/Electrochemical_Cells_under_Nonstandard_Conditions/Concentration_Cell), both electrodes in a concentration cell are the same. However, they differ in concentrations. The electrode with the highest concentration is diluted while the one with the lowest concentration is concentrated. As the cells move towards equilibrium, the movement of electrons between them generates a voltage. Electrons move from the least to most concentrated cell, in the opposite direction of ions. A salt bridge is used to move ions. I hope this helps!

-Rebecca

Subashni Rajiv 1K

Re: Difference in concentration

Postby Subashni Rajiv 1K » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:36 pm

For a concentration cell, the same type of solution is used for both compartments. The only difference is the concentration.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”