Textbook question 6M.7

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Paige Lee 1A

Textbook question 6M.7

Postby Paige Lee 1A » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:08 pm

For this question, we are supposed to arrange the metals in order of decreasing E/V, right?
For part A I keep getting Cu, Fe, Zn, Cr
For part C I keep getting V, Ti, Al, U
For part D I keep getting Au, Ag, Sn, Ni
I'm not sure what I keep doing wrong?

Arrange the following metals in order of increasing strength as reducing agents for species in aqueous solution: (a) Cu, Zn, Cr, Fe; (b) Li, Na, K, Mg; (c) U, V, Ti, Al; (d) Ni, Sn, Au, Ag.

SnehinRajkumar1L

Re: Textbook question 6M.7

Postby SnehinRajkumar1L » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:11 pm

For this question, you would want to find the least reduction potential as that implies that it is better as an oxidizing agent and thus will be better at reducing other compounds. What was your method for trying to solve this problem?

Paige Lee 1A

Postby Paige Lee 1A » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:22 am

SnehinRajkumar1L wrote:For this question, you would want to find the least reduction potential as that implies that it is better as an oxidizing agent and thus will be better at reducing other compounds. What was your method for trying to solve this problem?

I arranged the metals in order of decreasing E/V according to appendix 2B

Sarah Zhari 1D

Postby Sarah Zhari 1D » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:27 am

SnehinRajkumar1L wrote:For this question, you would want to find the least reduction potential as that implies that it is better as an oxidizing agent and thus will be better at reducing other compounds. What was your method for trying to solve this problem?

For clarification, don't oxidizing agents oxidize other compounds?

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”