Cell Diagrams

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Amir Bayat

Cell Diagrams

Postby Amir Bayat » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:11 pm

Do we have to be able to draw out cell diagrams on the test?

Dina 2k

Re: Cell Diagrams

Postby Dina 2k » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:17 pm

I don't think they would make us draw out the galvanic cell diagrams but they might test us on the understanding of writing out the cell diagram, ie:
Al(s) | Al3+(aq) || Sn2+(aq) | Sn(s)

Osvaldo SanchezF -1H

Postby Osvaldo SanchezF -1H » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:19 pm

We might be asked to do this but in the form of s|g|aq||aq|g|s and not an actual picture.

Leyna Dang 2H

Postby Leyna Dang 2H » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:24 pm

Osvaldo SanchezF -1H wrote:We might be asked to do this but in the form of s|g|aq||aq|g|s and not an actual picture.

I agree, I think you should memorize how to write it in this form.

DHavo_1E

Postby DHavo_1E » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:00 pm

Dina 2k wrote:I don't think they would make us draw out the galvanic cell diagrams but they might test us on the understanding of writing out the cell diagram, ie:

Hi,

Could you explain what this cell diagram is telling us conceptually? I’m a bit confused about that. Thank you!

EllieSchmidtke_4I

Postby EllieSchmidtke_4I » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:08 pm

DHavo_1E wrote:
Dina 2k wrote:I don't think they would make us draw out the galvanic cell diagrams but they might test us on the understanding of writing out the cell diagram, ie:

Hi,

Could you explain what this cell diagram is telling us conceptually? I’m a bit confused about that. Thank you!

To remember which side the anode and cathode are on respectively, I like to think that they're in alphabetical order (a then c), so the anode is on the left and the cathode is on the right. The anode contains the oxidation reaction ("an ox"), and the cathode contains the reduction reaction ("red cat"). So conceptually, this diagram is telling you that Al(s) is being oxidized (thus losing electrons) to become Al3+(aq), and Sn2+(aq) is being reduced (thus gaining electrons) to become Sn(s).

Elizabeth Bowen 1J

Postby Elizabeth Bowen 1J » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:12 pm

We wouldn't have to draw out a picture, we'd just have to draw the diagram where one line (I) refers to the division between species of different phases, and a double line (II) refers to the salt bridge between both sides of the sell diagram. If we have more than one species of the same phase, they are separated by a comma, and we need to remember the correct order for the phases (it's symmetrical on both sides)

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”