Cell Diagrams: single vertical line between two solids

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rebecca Remple 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Cell Diagrams: single vertical line between two solids

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:39 pm

Hi all,

In the solutions manual, the cell diagram is sometimes written as solid | solid | aqueous solution || aqueous solution | solid | solid. For example, book problem 6L.7c writes the solution as Cd (s) | Cd(OH)2 | KOH (aq) || Ni(OH)3 (s) | Ni(OH)2 (s) | Ni (s). Why is it written like this instead of separating solids with commas? I read that this notation is because the solid on the outside (Cd or Ni) is the electrode, but if this is the case then why is there a single vertical line between Ni(OH)3 (s) and Ni(OH)2 (s)? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

-Rebecca

Charlyn Ghoubrial 2I

Re: Cell Diagrams: single vertical line between two solids

Postby Charlyn Ghoubrial 2I » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:36 pm

Dr Lavelle answered this question a few years back and said “you separate chemicals in different phases using a single vertical line and if you have multiple chemicals in the same phase (say 2 aqueous solutions) you separate them with a comma. Then, you separate cathode and anode by using a double line, which represents a salt bridge.” So I would trust what he said and do it how he teaches it.

Rebecca Remple 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:46 pm

Charlyn Ghoubrial 2I wrote:Dr Lavelle answered this question a few years back and said “you separate chemicals in different phases using a single vertical line and if you have multiple chemicals in the same phase (say 2 aqueous solutions) you separate them with a comma. Then, you separate cathode and anode by using a double line, which represents a salt bridge.” So I would trust what he said and do it how he teaches it.

Hi Charlyn,

Thank you for your help! I will keep these rules mind. Good luck on the final :)

-Rebecca

Postby 005384106 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:16 pm

What is a salt reaction?

Osvaldo SanchezF -1H

Postby Osvaldo SanchezF -1H » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:20 pm

Well something to keep in mind is that many of the problems show different placement of the compounds such as including liquids or putting solids before aqueous solutions. You should not mind these type of problems and always stick to the rule of (s)|(g)|(aq)||(aq)|(g)|(s). My T.A. told me that not matter what you will be 98% sure that it is the correct way to do the cell diagram as they will not likely ask for anything more complex.

Charlyn Ghoubrial 2I

Postby Charlyn Ghoubrial 2I » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:16 pm

Rebecca Remple 1C wrote:
Charlyn Ghoubrial 2I wrote:Dr Lavelle answered this question a few years back and said “you separate chemicals in different phases using a single vertical line and if you have multiple chemicals in the same phase (say 2 aqueous solutions) you separate them with a comma. Then, you separate cathode and anode by using a double line, which represents a salt bridge.” So I would trust what he said and do it how he teaches it.

Hi Charlyn,

Thank you for your help! I will keep these rules mind. Good luck on the final :)

-Rebecca

Thank you Rebecca! Good luck on the final to you as well

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”