Strongly Reducing vs Oxidizing

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Siddiq 1E

Strongly Reducing vs Oxidizing

Postby Siddiq 1E » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:18 pm

Hi, how is the strength of reducing agents determined?

Ashley Tran 2I

Re: Strongly Reducing vs Oxidizing

Postby Ashley Tran 2I » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:21 pm

Reducing power (strength of reducing agent): species undergoes oxidation which is more likely if its standard reduction potential is more negative.
Oxidizing power (strength of oxidizing): species undergoes education which is more likely if its standard reduction potential is more positive.

The terms are "flipped" because for one species to be reduced/oxidized the other has to undergo the opposite process.

Hui Qiao Wu 1I

Re: Strongly Reducing vs Oxidizing

Postby Hui Qiao Wu 1I » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:44 pm

Reducing agents refer to the substance being oxidized. If the problem gives you several different reduction rxns, you have to do a little inverse thinking. The more positive the standard reduction potential is, the more likely that rxn will happen. However, that rxn is a reduction rxn. If reduction is happening more, then oxidation will happen less (inverse relationship). Therefore, the more positive the standard reduction potential, the weaker the oxidation and therefore the weaker its reducing reagent.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”