Pt(s)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

vanessas0123

Pt(s)

Postby vanessas0123 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:22 am

When and where would you add Pt(s) into the cell diagram? Could you give an example?

Eunice Nguyen 4I

Re: Pt(s)

Postby Eunice Nguyen 4I » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:27 am

If neither of the species is a solid or if the solid is a poor conductor, you can just add Pt(s) to it (solids will always be on the outside of cell diagrams).
An example would be: Fe3+(aq) + Cu(s) -> Cu2+(aq) + Fe2+(aq). After balancing the reaction, you will notice that there are no solids on the reduction side, so you have to add Pt(s) to the end: Cu(s)|Cu2+(aq)||Fe3+(aq), Fe2+(aq)|Pt(s)

JohannaPerezH2F

Postby JohannaPerezH2F » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:23 am

"Pt is added to any side that lacks a solid conductor.

Eg. if one half-reaction consists only of aqueous species, then that sides needs Pt(s)

The half-reaction of I2(s) / I- (aq) requires Pt(s) because I2(s) is a non-conducting solid

The exception to this rule is the mercury Hg(l) which can serve as the electrode despite being liquid (you just dip the wire into it)"

I found this on chemistry community and it was posted by Lavelle

Connor Chappell 2B

Postby Connor Chappell 2B » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:39 am

Pt should be used in the cell diagram when there is either the oxidation or reduction of some substance without a change in phase/state. (i.e. if Fe3+ is reduced into Fe2+ by gaining an electron, but both are in solution, a Pt electrode would be placed in the solution to conduct the electron into solution from the anode.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”