Calculating cell potential of an electrode

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Elizabeth Bowen 1J

Calculating cell potential of an electrode

Postby Elizabeth Bowen 1J » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:22 pm

How do you calculate the Cell potential of a cathode/anode when you're given an overall reaction and are breaking it down into half reactions so that you can know which direction to write the spontaneous reaction? or should we assume that the direction of the overall reaction is already spontaneous and not have to calculate the cell potential of each electrode? Because I noticed in the solutions manual for 6L, they always write the cell potential of the cathode and anode, but they don't show the way that it was found; is it just given information from a table or should we calculate it using some equation?

AArmellini_1I

Re: Calculating cell potential of an electrode

Postby AArmellini_1I » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:57 pm

I would always check what is spontaneous because that will help you to confirm the cathode and anode

Brooke Yasuda 2J

Re: Calculating cell potential of an electrode

Postby Brooke Yasuda 2J » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:32 am

The cell potential of the cathode and anode half reactions are usually found in a table unless you have closely related elements in which case you would calculate the cell potential. But otherwise, they are usually given and you would just have to determine which half reaction is oxidation and reduction.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”