6L.9

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

HannahBui 2K

6L.9

Postby HannahBui 2K » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:59 pm

This problem says: (a) Write balanced half-reactions for the redox reaction of an acidified solution of potassium permanganate and iron(II) chloride. (b) Write the balanced equation for the cell reaction and devise a galvanic cell to study the reaction (write its cell diagram). I am not sure how to approach this problem, can someone please explain? Thank you!

Myka G 1l

Re: 6L.9

Postby Myka G 1l » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:10 am

I think that you would have to determine the anode and cathode by looking up the reduction potentials for the half reactions. The more positive value is more likely to be the cathode because it is a better oxidizing agent and the less positive value will be the anode because it is a better reducing agent. In this case, since MnO4^- has the more positive potential it will be the cathode and Fe^2+ will be the anode. From there you can write the half reactions and cell diagram.

Mariah

Re: 6L.9

Postby Mariah » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:15 am

Myka G 1l wrote:I think that you would have to determine the anode and cathode by looking up the reduction potentials for the half reactions. The more positive value is more likely to be the cathode because it is a better oxidizing agent and the less positive value will be the anode because it is a better reducing agent. In this case, since MnO4^- has the more positive potential it will be the cathode and Fe^2+ will be the anode. From there you can write the half reactions and cell diagram.

Just to clarify, do we just need to know the relationship between reduction potentials and how they show us whether something is an oxidizing or reducing agent>

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”