concentration cells

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

charleejohnson1L

concentration cells

Postby charleejohnson1L » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:28 pm

so on test two, there was the question concerning what would happen to the cell potential in a concentration cell if the mass of the cathode electrode is doubled. I figured that since the mass is going up, the molarity will be increasing, the concentration difference will be larger. with a larger concentration difference, the concentration gradient that drives the reaction will be larger, resulting in the cell potential increasing. however, I got the question wrong lmao. could someone help explain to me why the cell potential would decrease?

jisulee1C

Re: concentration cells

Postby jisulee1C » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:53 pm

Changing the mass of the cathode doesn't change the concentration of the cathode solution therefore changing the mass of the electrode would have no change / affect on the cell potential.

Maia_Jackson_2C

Postby Maia_Jackson_2C » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:02 pm

jisulee1C wrote:Changing the mass of the cathode doesn't change the concentration of the cathode solution therefore changing the mass of the electrode would have no change / affect on the cell potential.

I think you are referring to the second part of that question but he is asking about the first part where the volume of the cathode solution is changing.

Osvaldo SanchezF -1H

Postby Osvaldo SanchezF -1H » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:16 pm

Well because the electrodes theme-selves are solids they are not included in the reaction to find the equilibrium constant so therefore any manipulation in the cathode means that there will be no change in in the cell potential. Also cell potentials are intensive.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”