Cathode vs. Anode

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Danielle DIS2L

Cathode vs. Anode

Postby Danielle DIS2L » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:20 pm

I know that ions go from anode to cathode but there are certain questions where the cathode would be on the left side of a standard voltaic cell. How would you know if this would be the case?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Cathode vs. Anode

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:10 pm

Do you mean if a diagram were drawn? Or are you referring to the cell diagram notations involving | and , ? If the former, it doesn't matter on which side the cathode is drawn. If the latter, the anode will always be on the left side. Also, note that electrons go from anode to cathode, not ions

Claire_Latendresse_1E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Claire_Latendresse_1E » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:30 pm

They talk about that a bit on 6L.3 about the rare occasion when the cathode is written on the left. I'll attach a screenshot of it. I'm pretty sure that if the cathode is written on the left, you can figure out which species is the anode and the cathode by comparing their electronegativity. The more electronegative species is more likely to accept electrons (cathode). Usually, the cathode is written on the right and you don't need to worry about it :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 6.26.01 PM.png

Becca Nelson 3F

Postby Becca Nelson 3F » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:01 pm

Hey! so cathode is always the reduced and anode is always the oxidized species. The current travels from anode to cathode regardless of the positioning of the beaker. You could look at the flow of the current or standard electrode values to determine which is the cathode and which species is the anode.

Ava Nickman

Postby Ava Nickman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:29 pm

it would depend on which side the the run is being oxidized and which side is being reduced

Gigi Elizarraras 2C

Postby Gigi Elizarraras 2C » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:27 pm

I would just look at the flow of the electrons!
Anodes are oxidized and cathodes are reduced:)

Hope this helps!

Valerie Doan 3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Valerie Doan 3I » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:43 pm

Definitely look at the setup, especially the electron flow. Another way you can look at it is by looking at the standard reduction potentials to determine which side is the anode and which is the cathode. Larger standard reduction potential means that it has a higher tendency to get reduced (has a stronger oxidizing power) and electrons always flow to the cathode. Therefore, the half reaction occurs at the cathode. The reverse applies for the anode (smaller standard reduction potential means stronger reducing power and higher tendency to be oxidized --> anode). Kinda confusing, but it's just another way of looking!

apurva-3E

Postby apurva-3E » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:47 pm

I think the electron flow would be a great way to tell between the anode and the cathode

Rajshree 1F

Postby Rajshree 1F » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:00 pm

i think for this class, we have learned that cathodes are typically drawn on the right. regardless you can tell which side is the cathode or anode knowing the reduction potentials of the half reactions.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”