Question About Cell Diagram Order Sapling #7 Week 7/8

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sofia Lucido 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Question About Cell Diagram Order Sapling #7 Week 7/8

Postby Sofia Lucido 3L » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:48 am

The explanation for the cell diagram notation on #7 of Sapling week 7/8 states that "the phases are listed in the order in which they are in contact". Can someone explains what this means?

Thank you!

Lucy_Balish_3G

Re: Question About Cell Diagram Order Sapling #7 Week 7/8

Postby Lucy_Balish_3G » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:54 am

This essentially means that you write in order of what touches what. In other words, in this case, the solid electrode is touching the crystals that are forming on the metal, and those are touching the aqueous solution ions. So for example you might put Pb(s)|PbCl2(s)|Cl-(aq) since from the diagram, you can see what items are contact with other items in that cell.

Jenny Lee 2L

Postby Jenny Lee 2L » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:21 pm

I agree with Lucy! I just wanted to add on that usually, anode material| | || | |cathode material. So starting from the anode material, the anode material Pb is then in contact with the PbCl2 that is formed from the reaction, and the PbCl2 is touching the solution of Cl-. The same method can be used for finding the order of the cell notation on the cathode side.

Faith St Amant 3D

Postby Faith St Amant 3D » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:09 pm

I usually make sense of the order of the diagrams by just looking at my half reactions and what order they are written in. This usually corresponds to the order that the compounds come into contact. Hope that helps :)

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”