Cell Diagrams

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kailani_Dial_2K
Been upvoted: 5 times

Cell Diagrams

Postby Kailani_Dial_2K » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:14 pm

Hi y'all I have a quick question, does the order of the elements in a cell diagram matter. I understand that the left hand side has to be the anode and therefore oxidation and the right side has to be the cathode and therefore reduction. I also know that the conducting solid has to be written on the outside of the diagram. However if I had the following problem (it's totally bs I'm making it up):

Pt(s) / Cl- (aq) / Cl2 (g) // K+ (aq) / K2 (g) // Pt(s)

Would it matter if I wrote it like this:

Pt(s) / Cl2 (g) / Cl- (aq) // K2 (g) / K+ (aq)// Pt(s)

Where the Cl2 and Cl- phases are switched?

Also if it does matter, why does it matter?

The too long to read version of this question is, does the positions within the separate halves of the cell diagram actually matter? And if they do can someone give me some guidelines on what to put where in the cell diagram with respect to the separate halves?

Sydney Lam_2I

Re: Cell Diagrams

Postby Sydney Lam_2I » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:32 pm

Hi! So I believe the order doesn’t matter as long as they're in the correct placement. Although I did remember that sapling required specific place,Mets. Either way the test will be multiple choice so it should have the placement already. Hope this helps!

Kailani_Dial_2K
Been upvoted: 5 times

Postby Kailani_Dial_2K » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:59 pm

Sydney Lam_2I wrote:Hi! So I believe the order doesn’t matter as long as they're in the correct placement. Although I did remember that sapling required specific place,Mets. Either way the test will be multiple choice so it should have the placement already. Hope this helps!

Okay sweet I was thinking the same thing, but I just wanted to make sure. Thank you!!!

Lisa Wang 3B

Postby Lisa Wang 3B » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:07 pm

I was told that it is conventional to have the aqueous elements closest to the salt bridge. Can anyone confirm this?

Earl Garrovillo 2L

Postby Earl Garrovillo 2L » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:12 pm

I believe that order does matter (at least it does in Sapling #7 from last week). I think that the aqueous ions should be on the inner end:
Pt(s) / Cl2 (g) / Cl- (aq) // K+ (aq)/ K2 (g) / Pt(s)
Sapling specified that the ions that make contact with salt bridge should be placed in the middle.

edward_brodell_2I

Postby edward_brodell_2I » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:31 pm

The salt bridge ions that will be exchanged definitely should be touching the || since the notation is representing that in the cell the anion moves through the salt bridge or porous disc to balance the charge.

Kamille Kibria 2A

Postby Kamille Kibria 2A » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:15 am

im pretty sure the order matters when you are ordering the phases (ie the aqueous phases will always be closest to the salt bridge bc they are coming into contact w it the soonest). however if they are in the same phase, i don't think the order matters

Brianne Conway 1D

Postby Brianne Conway 1D » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:46 am

I was wondering this too, thank you guys for clearing that up.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”