Strongest reducing metal

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

isha dis3d

Strongest reducing metal

Postby isha dis3d » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:52 pm

How do you find the most strongly reducing metal when given a series of metals?

Alexandra Ahlschlager 1L

Re: Strongest reducing metal

Postby Alexandra Ahlschlager 1L » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:59 pm

The strongest reducing metal will be the one that is most likely to be oxidized, as it must cause the reduction of another molecule. Based on this, the metal with the most negative reduction potential will be the strongest reducing metal since it itself is the least likely to be reduced. Hope this helps!

Bella Wachter 1A
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Bella Wachter 1A » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:04 pm

When looking at reduction potentials, the more negative a species' reduction potential is, the more powerful of a reducing agent it is (meaning it will reduce anything with a reduction potential more positive than itself, getting oxidized in the process).

The more positive a species' reduction potential is, the more powerful of an oxidizing agent it is (meaning it will oxidize anything with a reduction potential more negative than itself, getting reduced in the process).

Justin Nguyen 3E

Postby Justin Nguyen 3E » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:25 pm

The strongest reducing metal is the one with the lowest reduction potential. Because the substance has the least favorability to be reduced, it will instead reduce another substance, just like how in interactions with valence electrons, Na gives up its one electron and Cl takes an electron to fill their respective shells.

Lesly Lopez 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Lesly Lopez 3A » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:28 pm

Mmm I think the strongest reducing metal will have to be the one that is most likely to be oxidized. The reason being it might cause the reduction of another molecule later. I agree with my peers above.

Leyla Anwar 3B

Postby Leyla Anwar 3B » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:22 pm

Alexandra Ahlschlager 1L wrote:The strongest reducing metal will be the one that is most likely to be oxidized, as it must cause the reduction of another molecule. Based on this, the metal with the most negative reduction potential will be the strongest reducing metal since it itself is the least likely to be reduced. Hope this helps!

Is the reduction potential found from the Ecell*? How do you find that number? Thank you!

Sukhkiran Kaur 3I

Postby Sukhkiran Kaur 3I » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:30 pm

It would be the one that is most likely to be oxidized.

DavidTabib 3H

Postby DavidTabib 3H » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:18 am

The strongest reducing metal is the one with the lowest reduction potential

Mingzi Yang 1E

Postby Mingzi Yang 1E » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:28 pm

The strongest reducing metal is the one that has a lowest reduction potential (meaning that it is more likely to be oxidized) if you are comparing different metals.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”