Oxidation and reduction

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jacquelyn Challis 2B

Oxidation and reduction

Postby Jacquelyn Challis 2B » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:34 pm

Can anyone clarify in really simple terms what oxidation vs. reduction means? And how that takes places in a Galvanic cell?? Thank you!!

Hannah_Kim_1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Oxidation and reduction

Postby Hannah_Kim_1I » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:37 pm

Oxidation: loss of electrons
Reduction: gaining electrons

In a galvanic cell, the reaction on the left is always an oxidation reaction and the reaction on the right is always a reduction reaction.

Julianna Shimabukuro 1D

Postby Julianna Shimabukuro 1D » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:45 pm

Oxidation is the loss of electrons while reduction is the gain of electrons. You can remember this with OIL RIG (oxidation is loss, reduction is gain). As for how they apply to a Galvanic cell, as Hannah mentioned, the left reaction is the oxidation reaction, and the right reaction is the reduction reaction. I remember this by thinking RR: "Right Reduction"

Hannah Lechtzin 1K

Postby Hannah Lechtzin 1K » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:50 pm

Oxidation occurs when a species is losing electrons. In a galvanic cell this will be on the left side (anode) and is sometimes demonstrated as the anode slowly depleting because of the loss of electrons. Reduction occurs when a species is gaining electrons. In a galvanic cell this will be on the right side (cathode) and is sometimes depicted as the anode having a buildup on it because of the gain in electrons. I hope this helps!

Jacquelyn Challis 2B

Postby Jacquelyn Challis 2B » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:51 pm

Thanks everyone!!

Faaizah Arshad 1H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Faaizah Arshad 1H » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:53 pm

Oxidation is the loss of electrons. It occurs at the anode of a galvanic cell.
Reduction is the gain of electrons. It occurs at the cathode of a galvanic cell.

LarisaAssadourian2K

Postby LarisaAssadourian2K » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:08 pm

Galvanic cells are electrochemical cells in which spontaneous oxidation-reduction reactions produce electrical energy. The equations are written by separating the oxidation-reduction reactions into half-reaction to balance the equation. The left side of the reaction will be the oxidation and the right side of the equation will be the reduction. The half-reactions separate the reduction from the oxidation, therefore you can consider each one individually.

Aimee Alvarado 3J

Postby Aimee Alvarado 3J » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:44 pm

Oxidation means that it loses electrons and is usually the anode.
Reduction means that it gains electrons and is usually the cathode.

This means that in your half-reactions you have to determine which one will give you a positive value since it is a galvanic cell and has to be spontaneous. Usually, it'll be positive once you identify, but sometimes I think you have to switch a half-reaction to make it positive. Hope that makes sense!

Sabine Salvucci 2E

Postby Sabine Salvucci 2E » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:50 pm

Like everyone has already said, oxidation (loss of electrons) occurs at the anode and reduction (gain of electrons) occurs at the cathode. A way I like to remember this though is the acronym OIL RIG (oxidation is loss; reduction is gain). I also associate oxidation and anode because they both start with vowels whereas cathode and reduction both start with consonants. Hope this helps!

cadytran1K

Postby cadytran1K » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:50 pm

Oxidation deals with the loss of electrons while reduction is when you gain electrons. It takes place in a Galvanic Cell when the left reaction is the oxidation reaction and the right reaction is the reduction reaction.

Kushaal Madadi 2F

Postby Kushaal Madadi 2F » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:51 pm

Oxidation means that electrons are being given off by the oxidized species. These species reduce other species. Reduction means electrons are accepted by the reduced species. These species oxidize other species. However, oixidizing and reducing capabilities are relative.

Talia Dini - 3I

Postby Talia Dini - 3I » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:38 pm

Oxidation which occurs at the anode of a galvanic cell is the loss of electrons. Reduction which occurs at the cathode of a galvanic cell is the gain of electrons.

Chloe Shamtob 2H

Postby Chloe Shamtob 2H » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:40 pm

In the cathode of a galvanic cell, reduction occurs and at the anode oxidation occurs.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”