Galvanic Cell vs Concentration Cell

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

jessicaosuna_1F

Galvanic Cell vs Concentration Cell

Postby jessicaosuna_1F » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:38 pm

Hi! Can somebody please explain the difference between a galvanic and concentration cell? Thank you in advance :)

Valerie Tran 2B
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Galvanic Cell vs Concentration Cell

Postby Valerie Tran 2B » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:45 pm

I was also wondering this but when I looked it up, it seems like a concentration cell is a type of galvanic cell so I'm confused. I know that concentration cells are made of two half-cells, each containing the same electrodes, but different concentrations. The whole point is to establish equilibrium by transferring electrons

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:48 pm

A concentration cell is made of two half-cells with the same electrodes but different concentrations of chemical species. This is done in order to create a concentration gradient of electrons wherein an equilibrium is reached through the flow of electrons. Through this flow of electrons, a redox reaction occurs.

Gina Spagarino 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Gina Spagarino 3G » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:01 pm

Galvanic cells have the flow of electrodes from anode to cathode without adding an electrical current. In a concentration cell, there is the same aqueous solution in different concentrations, with the cathode containing the higher concentration, and I believe it is a type of Galvanic cell as mentioned above :)

Danielle DIS2L

Postby Danielle DIS2L » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:31 pm

Galvanic cells are the ones that have electrodes flowing from anode to cathode without an electrical current whereas in a concentration cell, they would be in the same aqueous solution but have different concentrations.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”