Standard Cell Potential

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

IsabelMurillo3K

Standard Cell Potential

Postby IsabelMurillo3K » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:38 pm

Hey guys!
I was wondering if anyone could help me understand the relationship between standard cell potential and equilibrium constant of a reaction?
Thank you!

Najia Saleem 2G

Re: Standard Cell Potential

Postby Najia Saleem 2G » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:54 am

Sometimes, a picture is worth a thousand words. I believe the equation I have attached best summarizes the relationship between standard cell potential and the equilibrium constant of a reaction.

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 10.52.58 AM.png

JonathanM

Postby JonathanM » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:56 am

Hey! So there is just an equation relating the two for a redox reaction that is, Eo=(RT/nF)ln(K) or if you solve for K, K=e^(nFEo/RT), but the equation isn't super intuitive or give you much insight as to why the standard cell potential is related to K. We can start by saying that nFEcell is an expression that gives that maximum amount of work that can be done by the transfer of electrons in the reaction, which is related to delta G. Delta Go is equal to -nFEocell but it is also equal to -RT Ln(K). We can then set these equal to each other and get the original equation relating Eo and K. So basically they are related because both of them are related to delta G and as such they can be related to each other. Hope this helps!

Kiara Phillips 3L

Postby Kiara Phillips 3L » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:50 am

Isolating each of the variables, Increasing T increases cell potential, decreasing it decreases cell potential. If nF is increased E of the cell decreases whereas if nF decreases Ecell increases.Same thing for ln(K) because ultimately it is a value that you are multiplying your fraction by.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”