Salt Bridge

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Crystal Escobar 1F

Salt Bridge

Postby Crystal Escobar 1F » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Is a salt bridge always necessary in electrochemistry?

Albert Agabekyan 1A

Re: Salt Bridge

Postby Albert Agabekyan 1A » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:32 pm

I don't think they are mandatory. It may depend on certain reactions, but I think almost all reactions require it. Because if most reactions don't have a salt bridge, then eventually there will be a build up of of electrons in the Cathode. The electrons from the anode will continue to send electrons over, but their will be electron repulsion in the cathode which will eventually result in a buildup of electrons in the anode.

VictoriaRoderick_3A

Postby VictoriaRoderick_3A » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:43 pm

I was under the impression that they were necessary. I have not seen an example that does not include one. The salt does not affect the reaction, and it prevents electron build up (as mentioned above).

Jasmine Lam 1I

Postby Jasmine Lam 1I » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:43 am

The salt bridge is necessary in redox reaction as it is used to remain charge balance between the anode cell and the cathode cell, preventing the rxn to go to equilibrium rapidly. However, there are also couple substitute for a salt bridge like: membrane paper that allows electrons flow, as the electrons flow from anode to cathode spontaneously.

Hope that helps:)

Marisa Mekkittikul2E

Postby Marisa Mekkittikul2E » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:01 am

A salt bridge (or another substitute) is needed in order to help facilitate the flow of electrons and prevent buildup.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 716 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:45 am

They are necessary in electrochemistry, otherwise we would experience charge buildup. You can absolutely have different forms but you need some mechanism to inhibit that charge buildup.

Return to “Work, Gibbs Free Energy, Cell (Redox) Potentials”