Oxidation Numbers

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

david_li3H

Oxidation Numbers

Postby david_li3H » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:28 pm

Hi!
I'm not sure if oxidation numbers is on the midterm (I don't remember Lavelle talking about it but I remember at discussion my TA asking a question about it so maybe I missed something?), but I'd like to ask a question on it anyways.

In a compound, is O always going to be -2, and H +1, or can it be different based on certain circumstances?
Thanks!

janavi_patel_2K

Re: Oxidation Numbers

Postby janavi_patel_2K » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:59 pm

Typically, O is always going to be -2 and H is always going to be +1. Based on those oxidation numbers, you can use those to determine the oxidation of the other atoms in the molecule.

samuelkharpatin2b

Postby samuelkharpatin2b » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:41 pm

The problems we are going to see in 14B will have Oxygen with an oxidation number of -2 (if in a compound) and Hydrogen with an oxidation number of +1. Using these known oxidation numbers you can find oxidation numbers of other elements in a compound, say Mn. There is an exception to the -2 rule for Oxygen, but the problems we have will have -2 as its oxidation number.

Jennifer Ho 1K

Postby Jennifer Ho 1K » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:50 pm

In most cases you'll see oxygen will have an oxidation state number of -2 (if not 0) and hydrogen will have an oxidation state of +1, so there is a point of reference to solve for the other ions that commonly have varying oxidation states. There are exceptions, but it's unlikely that you'll see them in 14B.

Yu Chong 2H

Postby Yu Chong 2H » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:09 pm

Oxidation numbers of O in a compound is most commonly -2, however, in peroxides like H2O2, the oxidation number of oxygen will be different. In this case, it is -1.

Return to “Work, Gibbs Free Energy, Cell (Redox) Potentials”