14.91 Electrolyte

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emily Glaser 1F

14.91 Electrolyte

Postby Emily Glaser 1F » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:41 pm

What does it mean conceptually when it says "A negatively charged electrolyte flows from the cathode to the anode," which completes the circuit. Is this the salt bridge?

Chew 2H

Re: 14.91 Electrolyte

Postby Chew 2H » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:21 pm

i think this is referring to the external wire circuit. From what i know, salt bridges don't exist in Electrolytic cells.

Nancy Dinh 2J

Re: 14.91 Electrolyte

Postby Nancy Dinh 2J » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:47 pm

Chew 2H wrote:i think this is referring to the external wire circuit. From what i know, salt bridges don't exist in Electrolytic cells.

It mentioned the external wire circuit in the problem so I don't think it's that. The problem wants to know how the "current is carried through the cell itself."

Emily Glaser 1F wrote:What does it mean conceptually when it says "A negatively charged electrolyte flows from the cathode to the anode," which completes the circuit. Is this the salt bridge?

The solution manual may be referring to a porous disk. On page 570, the book says, "To prevent this charge buildup [in the solution], which would quickly stop the flow of electrons, the two solutions are in contact through a porous wall; ions provided by the electrolyte solutions move between the two compartments and completes he electrical circuit."

Since a salt bridge and a porous disk function in the same way, you could use the salt bridge as an answer.

Return to “Work, Gibbs Free Energy, Cell (Redox) Potentials”