standard vs reaction gibbs free energy  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

shaunajava2e

standard vs reaction gibbs free energy

Postby shaunajava2e » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:43 pm

What’s the difference between standard gibbs free energy and reaction gibbs free energy?

Laura Gong 3H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: standard vs reaction gibbs free energy

Postby Laura Gong 3H » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:57 pm

Standard Gibbs free energy occurs under standard conditions (1M, 1atm, 298K or 25C). I think reaction Gibbs free energy is just referring the free energy of a particular reaction which may or may not occur under standard conditions.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 406 times

Re: standard vs reaction gibbs free energy  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:01 pm

Yes, except the temperature is not stipulated in standard Gibbs free energy, , just the concentration or pressure of each species. We often report the standard Gibbs free energy change for a reaction, , though we often just write it as the standard Gibbs free energy change, .

shaunajava2e

Re: standard vs reaction gibbs free energy

Postby shaunajava2e » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:10 pm

more specifically i’m referring to questions 11.15 and 11.21 6th ed, they’re the same reaction occurring at the same temp, but one asks for the standard gibbs (and gives the k value only) while the other asks for the reaction gibbs (giving both k and the partial pressures).

so what i’m understand is that when it asks for the reaction gibbs free energy it’s based on the current state of the reaction most likely not at equilibrium using the reaction quotient right??

Return to “Work, Gibbs Free Energy, Cell (Redox) Potentials”