Delta G and spontaneous process

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Diana Chavez-Carrillo 2L

Delta G and spontaneous process

Postby Diana Chavez-Carrillo 2L » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:11 pm

I understand that a negative Delta G means that the reaction/process is spontaneous and thus favored but in today's lecture, Lavelle went over the equation: Delta G = -nFE and mentioned that we want and favor a very large negative Delta G so my question is what exactly constitutes a "very large" negative delta G?

Chris Tai 1B

Re: Delta G and spontaneous process

Postby Chris Tai 1B » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:42 pm

There's probably not a specific cutoff for what distinguishes a "large dG cutoff" as opposed to a "not-so-large dG cutoff"; I think a lot of this is contextual, and what matters most is the understanding that a negative dG value means that the reaction will occur spontaneously, releasing free energy, while a positive dG value means that the reaction is nonspontaneous and requires the input of some kind of energy.

Uisa_Manumaleuna_3E

Re: Delta G and spontaneous process

Postby Uisa_Manumaleuna_3E » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:13 pm

I would kind of like to know if there is some sort of cut off professor lavelle could give us. It just helped me learning the Reaction Quotient (K) knowing what was "large" and "small", and making assumptions and all.

If the professor ever specifies anything further about "very large" delta G's, please let me know!

Return to “Work, Gibbs Free Energy, Cell (Redox) Potentials”