Anode & cathode

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

AlyssaYeh_1B

Anode & cathode

Postby AlyssaYeh_1B » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:14 pm

Does anyone have any tips to memorize that the anode is where oxidation occurs, and the cathode is where reduction occurs?

Ami_Pant_4G

Re: Anode & cathode

Postby Ami_Pant_4G » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:18 pm

I kind think of it as the word cathode has a "t" in it, which looks like a "+" sign so we know it gains electrons (which is what happens in reduction), and then anode is the opposite. Hope this helps.

JohnWalkiewicz2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby JohnWalkiewicz2J » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:33 pm

Additionally, I'd say that it might help to know that anions flow to the anode to balance the charge and cations flow to the cathode to balance the charge as well. :D

Rebecca Remple 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:17 pm

AlyssaYeh_1B wrote:Does anyone have any tips to memorize that the anode is where oxidation occurs, and the cathode is where reduction occurs?

Hi Alyssa,

The way I memorize it is the same way I memorize cations (+) and anions (-). The cathode is associated with a positive sign because it is where reduction occurs; reduction is the gain of electrons. The anode is associate with a negative sign because it is where oxidation occurs; oxidation is the loss of electrons. By associating cathodes and anodes with these signs, I can remember which is responsible for each part of a redox reaction. I hope this helps!

-Rebecca

Kristina Rizo 2K

Postby Kristina Rizo 2K » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:18 pm

Ami_Pant_4G wrote:I kind think of it as the word cathode has a "t" in it, which looks like a "+" sign so we know it gains electrons (which is what happens in reduction), and then anode is the opposite. Hope this helps.

This was really helpful thank you!!

Emil Velasco 1H

Postby Emil Velasco 1H » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:05 pm

My TA mentioned how oxidation is related to the anode because both started with vowels while the cathode is with reduction because both started with consonants.

Return to “Work, Gibbs Free Energy, Cell (Redox) Potentials”